Use the CRCC Code of Professional Ethics for Rehabilitation Counselors (Code), when working with high-school students transitioning to college, to:
- Address ethical dilemmas inherent in the transition process;
- Better understand how to apply the information in the Code to your practice; and
- Guide your decision-making.
Transition services support transition-aged youth with disabilities as they move toward adulthood and independence by completing secondary education and preparing for postsecondary opportunities. CRCs may find themselves working with transition-aged youth with disabilities within vocational agencies, private practices, school systems, and behavioral health organizations. Support for transition-aged youth often is provided in a collaborative manner from the referral (e.g., transition specialist, special education teacher, school counselor) to case closure (e.g., parents/guardian, employment specialist). Work with transition-aged youth can present challenges and ethical dilemmas created by various organizational cultures and climates. Ethical dilemmas also arise during collaboration with agencies, family members of clients, and other members of transition teams. CRCs should refer to their Code whenever such dilemmas occur.
This ethics course presents common ethical dilemmas associated with transition-aged youth with disabilities. In this course, you will analyze case studies designed to help you consider the impact of interagency collaborations; how psychoeducational career-focused groups can be managed; and the challenges of working with transition-aged youth with disabilities, parents or guardians, and other counselors.
Maggie Butler, PhD, CRC (click here for Dr. Butler's bio)
Throughout this course, you will analyze case studies focusing on ethical dilemmas involving transition-aged youth with disabilities. Once all case studies are successfully completed, CE credit will be awarded.
IF YOU LIKE THIS COURSE, YOU SHOULD ALSO TAKE:
- Ethics: Analyzing Diverse Dilemmas
- Ethics: Exploring the 2017 Code
- Ethics: Practical Applications
- Ethics: Understanding and Using Decision-Making Models
- Ethics: Wellness and Self-Care
- Ethics: Working with Students with Disabilities
- Employer Engagement
- Job Placement Provision: Key Factors and Challenges
- Transition: Creating a Career-Exploration Curriculum
- Vocational Evaluation: What Do You Want to Know?
- Vocational Rehabilitation Case Management Issues and Strategies